Menu Contact/Location

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation announces Historic Building

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation’s Historic Landmarks Plaque
Committee recently awarded historic designation to the following structures
and buildings.

Residence at 7120 Ohio River Boulevard, Ben Avon, 1916, Janssen & Abbott,
5800 Block of Pierce Street, Shadyside 1891
St. Luke’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, West View, 1927, William H. King,
Jr. architect
Mellon Institute of Industrial Research, Oakland, 1931-37, Janssen & Cocken,
Mount Assisi, Ross Township, 1927, Edward J. Weber of Link, Weber & Bowers,
Golf Clubhouse, North Park, 1937, Henry Hornbostel, architect
Powder Magazine, Allegheny Arsenal, Arsenal Park, Lawrenceville, 1814,
Benjamin Henry Latrobe (?) Thoms Pope (?), architects
Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel (formerly, Fulton Building), Downtown
Pittsburgh, 1906, Grosvenor Atterbury (New York), architect
Sewickley Public Library, 1923; (annex 2000), Henry D. Gilchrist, architect
for original portion
Golf Clubhouse, South Park, 1938, Henry Hornbostel, architect
Thaw Hall (originally, School of Engineering), University of Pittsburgh,
Oakland, 1909, Henry Hornbostel, architect
Union Station (present name, the Pennsylvanian), Downtown Pittsburgh,
1898-1903, D. H. Burnham & Co, (Chicago), architects
“La Tourelle” (Edgar J. Kaufmann house), Fox Chapel, 1924, Janssen & Cocken,
Pennsylvania Railroad and Lincoln Avenue viaducts, East Liberty/Homewood,
1902; 1905, William H. Brown, engineer; City of Bureau of Construction
Residence at 6661 Aylesboro Avenue, Squirrel Hill, 1886; moved and remodeled
1922 (?), James T. Steen, architect, original design
Armstrong Tunnel, the Bluff, 1926-27, Vernon R. Covell, of Allegheny County
Dept. of Public Works, chief engineer, Stanley L. Roush, architect
East Street Bridge (Essen Street Bridge, Swindell Bridge), North Side, 1930
Emsworth Locks and Dam, Neville Island, 1922; 1928, U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers, architects
Liberty Tunnels Ventilating Plant, Mt. Washington, 1928, Stanley Lawson
Roush, architect
McKees Rocks Bridge, 1930-32, Allegheny County Dept. of Public Works; George
S. Richardson, principal engineer
The Highwood, Shadyside, 1929-1930, R. Garey Dickson, architect
St. Josaphat’s Church, South Side, 1909-16, John Theodore Comes, architect
Allegheny Country Club, Sewickley Heights, 1902, William Ross Proctor,
The Allegheny Social Hall, Spring Garden, 1902-1903
St. Michael’s Maedchen Schuile (South Side Catholic High School: West
Building), South Side Slopes, 1900
First United Methodist Church of Wilmerding, 1914, C. W. Bier, Architect
Residence 132 East Crafton Avenue, Crafton, 1938, George M. Rowland,
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation created the Historic Landmark
Plaque program in 1968 to identify architecturally significant structures
and designed landscapes throughout Allegheny County. Buildings, structures,
districts, and landscapes may be approved for an Historic Landmark Plaque if
all of the following conditions are met:

• they are remarkable pieces of architecture, engineering, construction,
landscape design, or planning, or impart a rich sense of history;

• alterations, additions, or deterioration have not substantially
lessened their value in the above respects;

• they are at least 50 years old and located within Allegheny

• they qualify for Landmarks’ inventory of significant structures
and landscapes;

• they are not located in historic districts bearing a plaque (unless
of exceptional national significance).

An Historic Landmark Plaque identifies the site as a significant part of our
local heritage; but it will not protect a building from alteration or

To date, over 450 plaques throughout Allegheny County have been awarded to
significant buildings and structures.

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation was founded in 1964 as a
non-profit preservation organization serving Allegheny County. Its purpose
is to identify and preserve architectural landmarks, historic neighborhoods,
and historic designed landscapes in Allegheny County and to educate people
about this region’s architectural heritage and urban and landscape design

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation

100 West Station Square Drive, Suite 450

Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Phone: 412-471-5808  |  Fax: 412-471-1633