Menu Contact/Location

Renewing Communities; Building Pride.

Wood Street

Downtown Pittsburgh

Peter Lawrence, a new women's retail shop in Downtown Pittsburgh recently opened in the former J.R. Weldin Co. stationery and gift store at 413 Wood Street. Next door at 417 Wood Street is Boutique La Passerelle, another women's retail store that features European fashions. Both buildings are owned by Landmarks Development Corporation, a subsidiary of PHLF, which has restored them to create a women’s retail corridor along Downtown’s Wood Street.

Through The Place

A feature-length documentary that highlights the history, achievements, and impact of the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation (PHLF), on Pittsburgh and on preservation in America.

Learn More

Lending For Historic Preservation

As the lending arm of PHLF, Landmarks Community Capital Corporation (LCCC)—a non-profit subsidiary— advances the cause of preservation by extending loans to projects that facilitate renovation activities in historic neighborhoods throughout the Pittsburgh region.

Among the projects we financed in 2021,— and currently funding— is a $160,000 construction loan to Faith Community Partners LLC, to make facade and interior office renovations of the former GC Murphy Department Store building in Tarentum. The c. 1940 building is located at the corner of Corbet Street and Fourth Avenue, has 30,000 square feet, and is known as The Murphy Building on Corbet Street.

David Rankin, a Tarentum resident, and proprietor of the development contends that the renovation of the building, which has so far attracted three different groups of business tenants, will create an opportunity for renewed business interest in the community.

Certified by the United States Department of the Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), LCC makes sixty percent of its loans in low-to-moderate-income neighborhoods to either for-profit or non-profit developers.

Contact Senior Loan Officer, Rob Wagner (rob@phlf.org or 412-471-5808, ext. 538) for more information or if you wish to discuss your project or to apply for a loan.

Featured Project

The Former GC Murphy Building in Tarentum

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation

100 West Station Square Drive, Suite 450

Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Phone: 412-471-5808  |  Fax: 412-471-1633