Landmarks supports the nomination of the Old Stone Tavern as a City-Designated Historic Structure.
PREPARED TESTIMONY OF
ANNE E. NELSON, ESQ.
PITTSBURGH HISTORY & LANDMARKS FOUNDATION
BEFORE HISTORIC REVIEW COMMISSION, CITY OF PITTSBURGH
PUBLIC HEARING ON THE OLD STONE TAVERN
CITY HISTORIC STRUCTURE NOMINATION
April 1, 2009
Landmarks supports the nomination of the Old Stone Tavern to become a City-Designated Historic Structure.
The building was surveyed in both of Landmarks’ architectural surveys of Allegheny County and was chosen for inclusion in Landmark Architecture of Allegheny County Pennsylvania by James D. Van Trump and Arthur P. Ziegler, Jr., published in 1967, and Pittsburgh’s Landmark Architecture by Walter Kidney, published in 1997.
Walter Kidney dates the building c. 1800 since it is “a work in masonry not logs.” Van Trump and Ziegler describe the building as “[o]ne of the earliest surviving local taverns,” and state that “[t]his tavern must be preserved….”
Therefore, Landmarks supports the nomination of the Old Stone Tavern.