“Iceburgh” and PHLF Build Pride with PPS Students
PHLF involved 10 Pittsburgh Public Schools on 11 trolley tours (Colfax needed two dates to accommodate the entire third grade) in March, April, May, and June. Although students from only one school met “Iceburgh,” students from each school met James Hill, special assistant to the Mayor, and their Council representatives or staff members, and visited five historic landmarks––the City County Building, Allehgeny County Courthouse, Fort Pitt Museum, Fort Pitt Block House, and Duquesne Incline.
“The beauty of the program,” said PHLF Education Coordinator Karen Cahall, “is that during the full-day tour students are challenged to develop the ‘character-building’ qualities of each place within themselves. For example, they are encouraged to be respectful, responsible, tolerant, and proud, just like the design and purpose of the City-County Building suggests.”
The “Building Pride/Building Character” trolley tours were funded through donations from private foundations and from corporate contributions through the PA Educational Improvement Tax Credit (EITC) program.
The following comments are representative of the many positive comments that PHLF received from teachers and parent chaperones:
- “I have been on this field trip twice, with two daughters 6 years apart, and my husband went with our son 3 years ago. It was the most memorable and educational field trip any of our kids went on in elementary school. On today’s trip, one student said to me that she wishes she could do this trip every day.”
- “As a third-grade teacher for 16 years, this program is by far one of the most worthwhile and memorable to our students. Would love to attend for another 16+ years!
- “This program helps to develop future citizens of Pittsburgh in a very unique way, instilling a pride that lasts a lifetime.”
- “This was a wonderful experience for our students and they learned so much too. Often they learn things they can’t relate to, but this trip is so relatable and tangible to them and they retain so much of the information.”
- “I love it. Best trip every year.”