- This event has passed.
Shadyside Walking Tour: From Tower to Spire
August 25, 2013 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm$10 – $35
Join Shadyside historians, Justin Greenawalt and Bob Jucha, for a summer walking tour in eastern Shadyside (we walked the western section in 2012). Learn the role transportation played in the late 19th century growth of the suburbs; see historical houses and apartment buildings with a wide range of styles; and visit both landmark churches.
Included will be Frederick G. Scheibler’s 1913 Art Nouveau masterpiece, Highland Towers, celebrating its Centennial this year; selected apartments may be available for viewing.
Bring opera glasses or binoculars to see the high details of the church interiors and building rooflines on the walk.
- This tour is limited to 25
- Meeting Location: Inside Sacred Heart Church, 310 Shady Avenue, Pittsburgh 15206
- Ending Location: Inside Calvary Episcopal Church, 315 Shady Avenue, Pittsburgh 15206 (across the street from start)
- Free parking: in the Calvary Episcopal Church lot at 315 Shady Avenue
- $10 PHLF members $35 non-members includes a complimentary one-year membership in PHLF
Paid reservations by August 19th, 2013. For more information, contact Mary Lu Denny, Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation, firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-471-5808, ext 527