- This event has passed.
Pittsburgh Tours: Old Allegheny County Jail Museum
March 16 @ 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
A PHLF docent is on hand to share the story of the former Allegheny County Jail. Completed in 1886 to the design of Boston architect H. H. Richardson and in use until July 27, 1995, the building was renovated between 1999 and 2001 to house the Family Division of the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas. A portion of one of the cell blocks has been preserved as the Old Allegheny County Jail Museum.
The Museum opened in 2005 and was created through a grant from The Drue Heinz Trust to PHLF, in cooperation with the Allegheny County Juvenile Court and curator Ed Urban, former Deputy Warden.
Enter the Museum through one of two entrances to the Family Division:
- the main entrance on Ross Street, between Fifth and Forbes Avenues, or
- the great courtyard arch on Fifth Avenue, between Ross Street and Sixth Avenue.
In both cases, you must go through security. NO CAMERAS ARE PERMITTED.
Cost: admission is free
Contact PHLF at 412-471-5808