- This event has passed.
North Side Urban Hike: Memorable Places and Recent Changes
July 8, 2017 @ 1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Saturday, July 8, 2017
1:00 P.M. to 4:30 P.M.
Advance paid reservations required by Monday, July 3: email@example.com; 412-471-5808, ext. 527
PHLF members: $20.00 per person
Non-members: $40.00 per person (includes one-year membership in PHLF)
The walking tour is limited to 25 people.
Wear very comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather.
The walking tour route is on flat terrain and is a moderate degree of difficulty.
Meeting location: Alphabet City Center (City of Asylum), 40 West North Avenue, Pittsburgh PA 15212
(Please arrive by 12:45 P.M. if you want to use the restroom before the walking tour. The tour will begin promptly at 1:00 P.M.)
Ending location: same.
Join Louise Sturgess, PHLF’s executive director, and Mark Fatla, executive director of Northside Leadership Conference, for an urban hike on Pittsburgh’s North Side. Participants will:
- visit two significant historic religious properties (St. Peter’s and Emmanuel Episcopal), and see Calvary United Methodist Church from the outside (a wedding is scheduled that afternoon);
- enjoy treats from the Gus & Yia Yias and Alphabet City
- stroll through the Allegheny Commons and hear about recent restoration efforts there;
- check out the restaurants, shops, and bars along W. Ohio Street in the Allegheny West neighborhood;
- and visit a private garden in the Mexican War Streets neighborhood.