Menu Contact/Location
Loading Events

« All Events

  • This event has passed.

John Comes Churches: A Bus Tour to Lawrenceville, Etna, and Oakland

November 7, 2015 @ 11:00 am - 6:00 pm

At the request of a PHLF member, we will be touring four churches designed by John T. Comes (1873-1922): two of the four continue as places of worship and two have been adapted for new uses. We will travel by bus to:

  • Church Brew Works in Lawrenceville, where we will enjoy a Dutch-treat lunch. Originally, this was St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church, designed in 1903.
  • St. Augustine’s Roman Catholic Church in Lawrenceville, designed in 1899-1901.
  • All Saints Roman Catholic Church in Etna, designed in 1914-15. During our visit to All Saints, young musicians (pre-teen and teenage students) from Carnegie Mellon University‚Äôs Preparatory School will perform original compositions that were inspired by the stained-glass art of the church.
  • St. Agnes Center of Carlow University, originally St. Agnes Roman Catholic Church, designed in 1914-17.

Born in Luxemburg, Comes arrived in Pittsburgh in 1894. A prolific architect, writer, and activist, Comes founded the Pittsburgh Architectural Club in 1896 and designed more than 50 religious buildings for the Catholic Diocese.

David McMunn, who has researched the life and work of John Comes, will help lead the tour. David was instrumental in obtaining the Historical Marker for John Comes that was dedicated on January 27, 2013 at St. Agnes.

11 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Meeting Location: Station Square. Board the bus at 11:00 a.m. at the steps by Commerce Court, opposite the parking garage. The bus leaves promptly at 11:10 a.m.
Advance paid reservations required.
This tour is limited to 34 people.
$40 PHLF members (plus Dutch-treat lunch).
$65 Non-members includes one-year complimentary membership in PHLF (plus Dutch-treat lunch).

For reservations or further information contact: marylu@phlf.org; 412-471-5808, ext. 527

Details

Date:
November 7, 2015
Time:
11:00 am - 6:00 pm
Event Category:
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation

100 West Station Square Drive, Suite 450

Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Phone: 412-471-5808  |  Fax: 412-471-1633