- This event has passed.
Community Builder Workshop for Kids
October 29, 2016 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Architecture Learning Network (ALN) Community Builder Workshop
Saturday, Oct. 29, 2016
1:00 to 4:00 P.M.
Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh––South Side
2205 E Carson St, Pittsburgh, PA 15203
FREE for families
This Community Builders Workshop is made possible by a Remake Learning Pathways grant from The Sprout Fund.
Come design with us! The Architecture Learning Network (ALN) organizations provide many opportunities for youth to become interested in architecture, active in their communities, and knowledgeable about the design process, historic preservation, sustainability, and digital technology. Young learners can complete programs through the ALN and receive digital badges for their architectural designs.
On October 29th, join the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation, one of the ALN organizations, in a series of hands-on activities related to art and architecture. Participants will:
• build bridges and buildings;
• create a South Side mural out of construction paper and markers;
• learn about the architects who designed the South Side Carnegie Library;
• figure out how many “jumps” old the library building is;
• learn how to “read” buildings and name significant architectural details;
• complete a word search;
• play Pittsburgh Bingo;
• “restore” a house and a building by completing matching games; and
• view 9 large color images showing the physical development of Pittsburgh from the 1760s to the present.
Come create and learn about the library, South Side, and Pittsburgh.
Stay for the whole time (1:00 to 4:00 P.M.) or come for a short time.
Children must be supervised by an adult family member. Snacks will be provided.
RSVP by October 27 to the South Side Branch of the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh: 412-431-0505 or email@example.com