Pittsburgh’s East Allegheny neighborhood was nicknamed Deutschtown because most of the area’s early settlers were from Germany. (“Deutschtown” literally means “Germantown.”) Joining them were large numbers from Switzerland, Austria, and Croatia. By the late 19th century, it was a thriving community with established businesses and institutions. Although a 1970s interstate highway project bisected the Deutschtown area, causing demolition of buildings and displacement of hundreds of people, the community retains a large part of its historic architectural fabric.
4 in stock
100 West Station Square Drive, Suite 450
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Phone: 412-471-5808 | Fax: 412-471-1633