Oakmont Country Club Offers Free Historic Tours May through December
Few golf courses in the world have the fabled history, tradition, and legacy of Oakmont Country Club. Recognized as a National Historic Landmark and host of 19 major championships to date, Oakmont tells the history of the game of golf in our own backyard.
Golf historians will lead participants through the handsomely preserved 116-year-old clubhouse and share information about the founding of the club and the Fownes family that made it possible. Historic photographs, memorabilia, and artifacts in the History Hall document some of the legendary moments during the nine U.S. Opens held at Oakmont. There is a collection of USGA trophies to admire as well. The tour includes a walk through the original men’s locker room. Weather permitting, guests will tour the historic “inland links” golf course and see the extraordinary vistas, narrow fairways, treacherous sand bunkers, and iconic “Church Pew” bunker. Guests will be able to test their putting skills on Oakmont’s world-renowned putting surfaces and will have time to visit the Oakmont Professional Shop.
Tours are offered on the following Monday mornings in 2019, from 8:45 to 10:30 a.m.:
- May 13 and 20
- June 3 and 24
- July 8 and 22
- August 5, 12, and 19
- September 9, 16, and 23
- October 7, 14, and 21
- November 4 and 18
- December 2 and 9
- The tours are free of charge. Donations are welcome, with proceeds going to the Fownes Foundation.
- Each tour is limited to 15 people. Advance reservations are required!
- For reservations, contact Oakmont Country Club at 412-828-8000.
- For further information about the tours, contact the Oakmont Country Club Archives at 412-828-8000, ext. 257 or by email at email@example.com.
- All tour participants must arrive at the club by 8:45 a.m. on their tour date. Light refreshments will be provided by the club. Casual attire and comfortable shoes are encouraged, but please NO JEANS OR DENIM.
- Photography is welcome.
- Disabled access is available.