Historic Religious Properties and New Members Reception: March 2
The Historic Religious Properties Committee awarded $78,600 in 14 grants and five Technical Assistance awards to congregations in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. An Awards Reception will be held from 3 to 3:45 pm in the Grand Concourse Restaurant Board Room on March 2. George Dorman, chairman of the HRP Committee, and PHLF Board Chairman Mark Bibro will give brief remarks.
Immediately following, from 3:45 to 5:00 pm award recipients and new PHLF members will be invited to tour PHLF offices and libraries on the fourth floor of The Landmarks Building at Station Square.
Congratulations to the following grant recipients:
- Congregation Poale Zedeck, Squirrel Hill, for brick pointing and masonry repairs.
- First Presbyterian Church of Edgewood, for refinishing of exterior doors.
- First Presbyterian Church of Pittsburgh, Downtown, for refinishing of exterior doors.
- First Trinity Evangelical Church, Oakland, for repairing box gutters and replacing missing slates.
- Mt. Lebanon Presbyterian Church, stained glass window restoration.
- Pittsburgh Mennonite Church, Swissvale, for brick pointing.
- Sacred Heart Church, Shadyside, for stained glass window restoration
- South Side Presbyterian Church, for replacement of main roof.
- Stewart Avenue Evangelical Lutheran Church, for brick pointing and masonry work.
- St. Nicholas Catholic Church, Millvale, for repair and repainting of the exterior woodwork on the main structure of the church.
- St. Paul Baptist Church, Pt. Breeze, for box gutter relining and replacing missing slates.
- Waverly Presbyterian Church, Regent Square, for masonry repairs on main entrance stairway area.
- The Byzantine Seminary, in Perry Hilltop, received a grant from The Kim and Miller Family Fund at PHLF, payable over a four-year period, to help with repairs.
- Calvary United Methodist Church, in Allegheny West, received a grant from the Barensfield Fund at PHLF, to help with its handicapped-ramp project.
In addition, this year’s Barensfeld Fund Grant, of $1,100 was awarded to Calvary United Methodist Church in Allegheny West, to go toward the church’s handicapped ramp project.
The following received Technical Assistance Awards:
- Bethesda Presbyterian Church, Homewood
- Brown AME Chapel, Central North Side
- Ethnan Temple Seventh Day Adventist Church, Wilkinsburg
- Greenfield Presbyterian Church, Greenfield
- Jesus’ Dwelling Place, North Braddock