Menu Contact/Location
71-Ge6SxU3L

Whirlwind Walk: Architecture and Urban Spaces in Downtown Pittsburgh

$10.00

Category:

Product Description

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation, 2008 ; 2011

A terrific guide, indispensable for first-time visitors and long-time residents alike. What a pleasure it is, to see more of what’s right in front of us and to know more about what we see. Whirlwind Walk delivers Pittsburgh.
–Holly Brubach, author, screenwriter, and design consultant

Updated and expanded due to popular demand, Whirlwind Walk is the first fully-illustrated comprehensive walking tour guidebook to many of the principal buildings and public spaces in downtown Pittsburgh.

The tour begins at H. H. Richardson’s Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail and ends at Point State Park—the confluence of the Allegheny, Monongahela, and Ohio rivers and the 18th-century Gateway to the West. The clearly marked tour route features 46 entries describing 84 places.

The book also includes brief essays on the architectural significance and character of the region, a list of “Downtown Museums and More,” and a new section on “What’s Green Downtown?”

First published in conjunction with Pittsburgh’s 250th Anniversary, Whirlwind Walk originated in tours prepared for the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 2006 and for the Society of Architectural Historians in 2007. It is one in a series of self-guided tour booklets that began with the Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail Walking Tour (2007).

The first and second editions of Whirlwind Walk were supported by generous contributions from the Carl Wood Brown Fund at the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation.

  • 106 pages, soft cover; 5″ x 8″
  • 168 color photographs
  • ISBN 978-0-9788284-8-6

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Whirlwind Walk: Architecture and Urban Spaces in Downtown Pittsburgh”

Your email address will not be published.

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation

100 West Station Square Drive, Suite 450

Pittsburgh, PA 15219

Phone: 412-471-5808  |  Fax: 412-471-1633