- This event has passed.
Hotels in Historic Buildings: A Downtown Walking Tour
September 12, 2017 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
5:30 PM to 7:30 PM
Advance paid reservations required by Friday, September 8, 2017: firstname.lastname@example.org; 412-471-5808, ext. 527
PHLF members: $15.00 per person
Non-members: $40.00 per person (includes one-year complimentary membership in PHLF)
The walking tour is limited to 25 people.
Wear comfortable walking shoes and dress for the weather. This downtown walking tour route is on relatively flat terrain and is handicap accessible.
Meeting location: Mellon Square, near the corner of Sixth Avenue and William Penn Place, Pittsburgh PA 15222
Ending location: (same address as above).
During this downtown walking tour, you’ll explore the main floors (and a few other interesting spaces) of several hotels that are located in historic buildings. John Martine, Sean Beasley, and project managers from Strada Architecture, LLC, will be your guides, along with Louise Sturgess, Executive Director of PHLF. Strada is the architect for three of the hotel renovations:
- Kimpton Hotel Monaco is located in the classically inspired Philadelphia Company Building, later known as the James H. Reed Building, at 620 William Penn Place;
- Drury Plaza Hotel is located in the former Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland building on Grant Street, designed in 1930-31; and
- Distrikt Pittsburgh, a boutique hotel, will open later this year in the former Salvation Army Building on the Boulevard of the Allies.
Plus, we hope that participants will be able to:
- view downtown Pittsburgh from the Embassy Suites Hotel, located on the top floors of the historic Henry W. Oliver Building on Smithfield Street;
- hear about (and possibly visit) the Even Hotel in the former Kaufmann’s/Macy’s Building; and
- see the Speakeasy Social Lounge in the Omni William Penn Hotel.
Details are still being confirmed and are subject to change, but there is lots to discuss and much to see in regard to new hotels in historic downtown buildings.