Albert M. Tannler has been Historical Collections Director of the Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation since January 1991. He oversees the James D. Van Trump Library and the Fairbanks Rail Transportation Archives. Many of his articles about the history of architecture and the decorative arts in Western Pennsylvania have appeared in PHLF News and the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Focus Magazine.
He is the author of Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail Walking Tour (2007), A List of Buildings and Architects in Pittsburgh and Allegheny County 1950-2005, 3rd edition (2005), Pittsburgh’s Landmark Architecture 1785-1950: A Concise Bibliography (1994), and he contributed to African American Architects: A Biographical Dictionary 1865-1945 (2004).
He has explicated what critic Patricia Lowry has called “Pittsburgh’s great treasury of historic stained glass” in Charles J. Connick: His Education and His Windows in and near Pittsburgh (2008), William Willet in Pittsburgh 1897-1913: A Research Compendium (2005), and in articles in The Journal of Stained Glass, Connick Windows, and Stained Glass. He has lectured for the Decorative Arts Trust’s Pittsburgh Symposium and at the Frick Art & Historical Center, Pittsburgh, and the Charles J. Connick Stained Glass Foundation Ltd., Boston.